A day in Florence

Florence Travel Blog

The Duomo
We had changed trains at Florence the day before on our way to Lucca but I am heartily glad that we decided to stay in the smaller city. I have met people who love Florence and others who hate it, finding it oppressive. Speaking for myself I found it a place with much great beauty but the relentless heat of the sun between tall buildings and the density of the crowds were distinctly off-putting.

Queuing to get into the cathedral was excruciating but at least we had Brunelleschi's superb 15th century dome to look at. We could not have queued again, as would have been necessary to see the Uffici so we had to be content with the replica of Leonardo's statue of David in Piazzale Michelangelo. This square on a hill was not constructed until the 19th century but provides a magnificent view over te city's many great buildings.

The Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge) with bildings right across is most impressive - I think perhaps even more so than Venice's Ponte Rialto. Such was the heat that it was really refreshing to sit on a wall looking along the Arno to the bridge from a cuple of streets away with the river forming a sort of wind tunnel.

If I ever go again there will be far more to see than we could bear this time but it will not be in the summer months.
David in Piazzale Michelangelo