EuropeItalyTrevi

Trevi - an Umbrian gem

Trevi Travel Blog

Trevi in context
Why Trevi, you may ask, when there are so many better known places, of which Spoleto was the only one I had visited and Pam had not been to any. Remember we had the return journey as well, when we visited Spello, Assissi and Perugia but still you may say, 'Why not Gubbio, Orvieto or Todi?' The truth is that we spent a mass of time chosing and the determining factor was an excellent website, http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/Umbria/map.html, far beter to my mind than the more official guides. Bill Thayer, the sie owner, was most courteous in answering my questions and he was giving a strong push in the direction of Trevi so we let orselves be pushed.

Trevi is a hilltop town - not a little mound as it makes Spello look but a real mountain.
The cathedral from our hotel, Trevi
It is one of very few places I know where the cathedral is high up the hill but can only be photographed at all convicingly from a distance. The narrow streets, the real shops, the tower, the murals - all are delightful.

I hope that by now Trevi has discovered and overcome what was, for us, its only defect. It had only recently discovered he value of tourism and was now trying to rectify its tardiness. Everybody knows, don't they, that tourists come in cars? But what if they come by train? There is a bus between the town and the station. So the bus times are linked to the trains? No, no and no again! The only bus down to the town that would be in time for the 11.00 train left at around 7.00.

You tight - - -, do I here you say, get a taxi for once. That's just what we thought - and did - but there was no taxi firm in Trevi and it came from Foglio. Yes we could afford a ride in a taxi but not to take the taxi with us!
Community Tower, Trevi
Community Tower, Trevi
Flower delivery, Trevi
Flower delivery, Trevi
Trevi Hotels & Accommodations review
A real hill-top location
Il Terziere is just outside the main part of the village and hence gives better views of the cathedral ensemble than you could get from the village it… read entire review
Trevi