Around Tobago

Argyle Falls Travel Blog

The Argyle Falls - before the swimming started!
Hiring a jeep for the day, we went off around the coast of Tobago. We drove around anti-clockwise but if going again, I'd go the other way - there's not much point in the driver having the best views of the sea! The coastline is beautiful, with lots of hidden beaches peeking out, and houses perched precariously on cliffs.

We went to see the Argyle Falls, with a guided tour costing $30 TT per person. This was well worth it, with our guide pointing out all the wildlife as we went. His binoculars came in really handy, letting us each see a close-up of some young Caimans on the river.

The falls themselves were great - only about 20 minutes walk from the car park, the pool was deep enough to swim in and jump into from the sides. After cooling off and splashing around for a while, another group of tourists arrived, this one much larger than our ten and it certainly spoilt the feel of the place until they moved on in a hurry.

After coming back to the jeep, we only had time to do a quick circuit across the centre of the island through the rain forest (which felt very much like the New Forest rather than a jungle) and then back down the north coast, as I had to get to my flight.

It was only the next day that I heard on the radio that someone had just been killed in a machete fight in one of the little villages that we drove through. After seeing the peaceful countryside it certainly shocks you.
The Argyle Falls - before the swim…
The Argyle Falls - before the swi…
Argyle Falls