The Pacific

Coronado Travel Blog

unloading at the airport

At the airport everyone unloaded from the two charter buses.  Carol called for our shuttle as the other groups on the mission trip rolled their luggage into the airport for their afternoon returns home.  Lynda had been worried about making her 1:30 flight, but I think there was just enough time for her to get checked in and through security.  Our shuttle (two vans) actually arrived very quickly and we were off past the water to our hotel.  I wasn't sure where we were staying but was very happy when we pulled up in front of the same place from two years ago :)

We arrived too early to get into our rooms (well, one room out of the group was ready) so the hotel put our bags in a locked conference room.  First though, four of us got changed into our swimsuits and then pulled on regular clothes again to catch a taxi to Coronado Island.

Once again the transportation arrived quickly.  Our driver was great.  He kept a running conversation going about the area especially the island.  I was surprised by the high gas prices, just shy of five dollars a gallon.  (When I would return to Ohio a few days later, gas was "only" $3.29.)

The driver dropped us off at the Hotel del Coronado which we all looked at in awe.  It had a wonderful turn-of-century resort feel.  This is when my camera batteries decided to die.  (Luckily, I was able to find some more in a souvenir shop near where we had lunch.)

We set off back in the direction the taxi had come to find lunch.  The first pizzaria we tried had a wait of about fifteen minutes but the restaurant next door seated us immediately.

pretty flowers
  Lori and Andrew split a shrimp pizza while Emily and I both got sandwiches, portobello for her, turkey for me.

After lunch we wandered down a side street that ended at the beach.  The beach was beautiful, and as I walked down the steps to the sand, it didn't take long for me to decide to kick off my sandals and walk barefoot.  I loved looking at the sand dunes as we approached the water.  Emily followed my lead in carrying her shoes although the sand got pretty hot just before we reached the area where people had set up beach blankets; we re-shod ourselves for the last bit just as Andrew went barefoot.

We found a spot for our blankets although we scooted them back about fifteen feet when we realized that the tide was coming in.

beach shot
  I was excited to get in the water but the first cool wave against my toes made me hesitate about just how far I wanted to get in.  Emily was first to take the plunge into a wave; after joining her Andew assured me that it really wasn't that bad.  I still stayed only about waist deep, the cold water a big contrast to my last experience with the Pacific down in warm Costa Rica.  Eventually though I took a chance and let a wave splash over me.  After the initial chill and reminder that salt water tastes very different from pool water, I had fun bouncing around in the water.  I tried to bodysurf several times and did get one nice ride.  Eventually I went back to the blankets to grab my camera and get some water's edge shots.

After a bit of water time the four of us ended up on our blankets.  Lori and Andrew sunbathed while I watched Emily build a sandcastle.  It really more resembled a Mayan temple or as she put it, something out of Indiana Jones, but she did a great job with it (despite my early attempts to help...)  She even found some sea weed to use as a flag.

Our short time on the beach (less than two hours) slipped away, and soon we were walking back to the hotel.  I would love to come back to this place again and just wander around its beauty, but for now I have to content myself with a few photos.  We called for a taxi which was quick to arrive again.

whale weathervane