No More Planes!

San Diego Travel Blog

turning around
Off the plane we retrieved our luggage, no missing pieces! With as many checked bags as we had and having transferred planes, this was an exciting achievement.  Of course, it helped that some bags stood out thanks to some duct tape detailing: a silver cross on Stacey's suitcase and the rows of neon green all over Mark's otherwise familiar black duffel.
Following a series of wrong turns and reversals (anyone watching that set of escalators probably was amused), we set up camp again outside Terminal 2.  The boys burnt off some energy with a soccer ball.  The girls found the restrooms and food.
The donations truck arrived a little earlier than expected.  Its cargo: several hundred pairs of shoes, many of them still in their boxes from Skechers.  We set to work on reloading the shoes and baby bags onto the two charter buses that would take us to Mexico.
Navy ship
  During this time our group had grown in size with the arrival of another church.  Once all aboard, we headed out for the border, a guide from Club Dust talking us through some basic rules including a reminder to only use water from bottles to brush our teeth and to not flush any toilet paper down the toilet unless we wanted to mess up the septic system.  To be honest although I was listening, I was also watching out the window.  I wanted to take in as much of San Diego and Tijuana as I could.  I especially enjoyed seeing the water and the Navy ships in San Diego.
Going through customs was not too difficult.  The officer came on the bus and looked a little suspiciously at the large containers of paint but then we were through.
skyscrapers