A Different Crossing

Tijuana Travel Blog

I realize that we are close to Mexico when I see the huge Mexican flag flying somewhere to our right.  The bus pulls up to customs and unlike previous years where sometimes the bus as a whole would just get flagged through, we have to get off and take all our bags off.  We trudge up into a nice, new building and the x-ray machines.  I notice three guards walking in an upper hallway with large guns.  I push my multiple bags onto the conveyor belt and walk through.  After retrieving my bags, I push the button.  It comes up green and I am waved through, no questions.  Courtney and Andy get the red light but even as the guard goes through their bags, she doesn't appear to be that focused on the contents.

Back on the buses we wait for everyone and then start up again.  I try snapping pictures as we go through Tijuana, a few of my cheap camera shots come out which is better than zero.  Randall impresses his son with his rapidly-growing understanding of Spanish as he reads the business signs of "Home Depot" and "Office Depot."

As we get closer to Tecate, I start recognizing landmarks from previous trips such as the cow farms and the prison.  It is a good feeling to be somewhere familiar.

JesuCristo es el Senor