At the Border Again

Tijuana Travel Blog

Mexican landscape

Just like my previous two trips, the charter buses took the toll road back to Tijuana.  We noticed pretty quickly that the shocks on these buses worked a lot better than the school buses we had been riding out to the sites over the past few days (of course, these drivers also went way slower down the dirt road outside the ranch too).  We saw the border fence again.  Later I would look at a map and realize that we were extremely close to the border for most of our time in Mexico, not just during our ride back.

As we entered Tijuana our driver told David and Carol who were sitting up front that he didn't really speak English so I got called on to translate directions back to the whole bus about the crossing procedure.

toll booths
  Luckily, it was very much like last time and he did not speak rapid fire Spanish, so I was able to tell everyone about getting all their luggage and then the walk down the street to the bus.

We knew we were close to the border when we saw the rows of cars sitting and waiting their turn; they seemed to be even farther back than I remembered from last time.  Once we got to the actual border we saw that there was a decent-sized line against the mural-covered wall, so we hurried to get all our bags out from under the bus and in line ourselves.  It was cooler here than at the worksite but still very warm although we did have awnings to stand under.  Some vendors were trying to sell food, but we were more focused on getting through the revolving gate--until Amanda saw the churro guy :)

Passing through customs was the easiest crossing I can remember after I entered the building.  The agent looked at passport, looked at me, and waved me through.  Not a single question for me.

I picked up my bags from the x-ray machine and waited for a little group to collect before setting off for the 7-11 about two blocks away.  As we waited for everyone to reconvene (no major problems although David had an orange in his bag that got confiscated), some passengers got drinks from the 7-11.

sculpture in Tijuana