Back in the USA

San Diego Travel Blog

artwork near the airport

At the airport we unloaded again.  This time the other groups headed to check-in; they would be home in a few hours.  The Riva Trace people, however, walked away from Terminal One and loaded into three vans to head to our hotel not far from the San Diego Harbor area.  The driver for our van was very friendly and quick to give restaurant recommendations.  Josh had already started the check-in process when we arrived at the hotel.  Since we were two hours too early for the rooms to be ready, they had us put tags on our bags and then we left them in the breakfast room which I assumed would be locked.  After that we broke up into smaller groups.  I set off on a 2 1/4 mile hike for a burger.  Yes, over 4 miles round trip for a meal.

unloading at the airport
  Josh assured us (about ten of us altogether) that the burger would be more than worth it.  I was more just interested in getting lunch and hanging out.  It was an easy walk past residential homes in a Southwestern style and a number of businesses.  I did have to complain about the shopping plaza with two Starbucks, one at each end (and this was not a long plaza).  We arrived at In and Out Burger after about an hour of walking and found the place hopping.  Ashley and Kira found space with a nice gentleman who was willing to share his outdoor table with us.  He talked about playing softball which fit in well with the number of Little Leaguers catching a meal there.  I enjoyed my burger (not sure if it was worth 4+ miles of walking in total.
..)
Back at the hotel we retrieved our bags from the breakfast room and headed up to our rooms.  While Ashley got a shower, I started to rearrange my suitcase.  However, I soon noticed that things weren't right.  Closer inspection revealed that I was missing a pair of pants, three shirts, a skirt, and two bandanas.  All of my clean clothes (except for underwear at least).  After talking with some of the other girls who had slept in bunks near mine and learning they had not picked up my clothes by accident, I decided that somehow I must have left the clothes at the ranch.  Upset, I went down to the front desk to inquire about a laundry in the hotel.  After trading some bills for quarters, I ran into two of the other girls and learned that they were also missing items.
at Oggio's
  Now my frustration turned to anger as I put two and two together and realized that my clothes had been stolen.  The only real opportunity for the clothes to disappear was when they were in the "locked" breakfast room.  The hotel was less than helpful.  Only with persuasion was the dad of one of the girls able to get the front desk to give us the money and detergent to do a load of laundry.  I have never had something on this scale stolen, so I unfortunately was in a funk for awhile.  Looking back I realize that it was just clothing and I had the money to replace it.  If someone got into my suitcase to take my clothes, then they were in a much more desperate place than me.  I just find it ironic that we get warned about watching our stuff when we are out of the country, but it was once we were back in the US that I lost my clothes.
waiting in the lobby for group to gather before debriefing

Krista, Emily, and Mark were close to arriving at the hotel by now so Ashley and I decided to go down to the breakfast room to get their bags.  We figured that after working in the soil all day, they would want to be able to shower as quickly as possible.  Oddly, enough the maids could not get the door unlocked.  Two different ladies tried to open it, but eventually they had to get a maintenance man to open it.  By then our three friends had made it to the hotel and were also waiting.
We went out to dinner that night at Oggio's, a restaurant a short distance from the hotel.  They seated us outdoors, our group of 27 and then Randy's family (5 more people, I think).  I got to sit next to the heater which made me very happy.
tired grandparents
  My potato skins also made me very happy even though they were defintely far bigger than I could eat all.
After saying a final round of good-byes to Randy's family, Josh drove them over to their hotel while the rest of us went up to Dennis's room for a debrief.  We were definitely tired as several people talked about what they had seen and learned over the past few days.  I had to focus on not falling asleep towards the end.
Back in the room I dug out my pillow.  We had the TV turned on to House as we finished getting ready for bed, but it wasn't long before we were turning off the lights.

at Oggios
at Oggio's
waiting in the lobby for group to …
waiting in the lobby for group to…
San Diego Hotels & Accommodations review
Would Not Stay Again
We stayed at this hotel for the one night we had between Mexico and flying back home. It is within walking distance of a harbor and also a shopping p… read entire review
San Diego