Morning, Noon & Night in Bluefields

Bluefields Travel Blog

the widowmaker that didn't work

We did not get an early start like I had intended.  I wanted to explore the village a little more.  Emily, Jaimie and I were left on our own because Jay and Nellie were at the church teaching the Sunday school seminar.

I was dressed and ready to go by eight o'clock.  I showered with cold water because either a) the widowmaker doesn't work; or b) I don't know how to use it.  (Most likely the case: a).  But, I should have known that Jaimie would sleep her life away.  Why should she bother experiencing the life of Nicaragua when she could curl up in bed?  To try and spur her out of bed, I turned on the television and watched a couple Central American cooking shows.  The Food Network is practically all I watch at home (other than the Travel Channel) and I was intrigued by the cooking methods.

For example, when cooking with hot peppers, she just threw the whole thing in.  On American cooking shows, they instruct to remove the seeds and cut the ribs out.  Just minor differences, but still differences in culture.  Emily came down to our room, and Jaimie finally stirred about ten o'clock.  It was after eleven before we left the hotel.

We wandered about the village, but since we didn't know anything about the town, we wandered aimlessly, accomplishing nothing.  Somehow, we got on a quest for finding a glass Coke bottle (I collect these from everywhere I travel).  This was a more difficult challenge than I imagined.  Having no luck, we returned to the hotel because we were to go to the church soon for lunch.  Lo and behold, the refridgerator had been filled while we were gone, and there was glass Coke bottles.

I quickly claimed one, and gave an extra ten cords to keep it.

We heard from Jay then, so we hailed a taxi to venture over to the church.  Even though I can understand Spanish, I'm glad Emily was with us to communicate with the taxi driver, especially since he took us to the wrong church at first.  Lunch was ready soon after we arrived.  The pastor's wife had cooked up quite a spread.  She first brought out sopa de camarones -- shrimp soup.  Uh, oh.  I had emailed Nellie just days before my trip to tell her I was allergic to shellfish.  But, apparently, the pastor's wife didn't understand, and thought I just didn't like shrimp and would get over it.  However, we finally explained just exactly what would happen if I ate that, with some hand signals from Nellie.

When she brought out the lunch plates, she left the shrimp off my plate.  Luckily, the fish and tostones had been fried separately so I was able to eat them, and not go hungry.  Which I was grateful, her food was delicious.

It was interesting to me, how they were all having trouble with my name because of the 'th'.  BUT, when I was introduced to the pastor's wife, she immediately said 'Dorcas'.  YES! I knew she read her Bible, for in Acts 9:36-42, a woman named Tabitha is also called Dorcas.  In all my life, I've never had someone say that to me.  (Usually I get the Bewitched reference which irritates me.  I'm named after my grandmothers and as a little girl, I knew that specific Bible passage by heart).

Anyway, back to the trip -- after lunch, Nellie, Jaimie and I went back to the hotel.

Nearly immediately, Nellie said we'd go out and explore, which I was very excited about.  She'd never been to this part of Nicaragua, either, so she was anxious to see what was in store.  We left Jaimie behind who was whining.  The plan was to get a taxi to take to the scenic Bluffs, but it turns out that was another ponga ride away.  Instead, we rented the taxi driver for an hour and he took us all around Bluefields.  When the road ended, he'd turn around and head another way.  We saw a couple fiestas in the street, the two universities, the airport, the government buildings and the park.  It was a really interesting tour.  During our ride, Nellie and the taxi driver were talking (in Spanish, of course), and I was able to understand everything they said.
  I'm just not 100% comfortable in speaking the language just yet.  Nellie said that would come with time.

When we got back to the hotel, Jaimie was gone, but we figured we knew where to find her -- the hamburger place.  Sure enough, that's where she was.  I watched the customers as to which pastry was most popular and got one.  It was a fruit filled sweet roll and it was really good.  Not dry like Nellie had warned it might be.  After our excursion, Nellie and I relaxed and chatted while sitting on the front porch of the hotel.  This was really the first time we were able to talk, and I really appreciated that.

Tonight, there was a children's service planned, so we went over to the church early enough to set up for it.

I am by no means a missionary, so I was photographer/videographer.  I had fun interacting with some of the kids.  It was an awesome service with nearly 200 kids in attendance.

Afterwards, we were served supper by the pastor's wife.  This time, she'd made a meal of pollo asado, gallo pinto and french fries.

We've had a full day of it, and I'm hitting the sack.  We were threatened with a 4:30 AM ponga ride, but luckily, there is one mid-morning.  Tomorrow is the journey back to Managua... I go home in less than two days.

the widowmaker that didnt work
the widowmaker that didn't work