Seeing the sights in Sukhothai

Sukhothai Travel Blog

Another bus ride, another adventure. We got the bus north to thailands ancient capital Sukhothai. We planned to spend a few days soaking up the sites (mostly ruined temples)

The site of Sukhotai spans several km and Suz and I thought we could use the exercise after all the Thai food we have been guzzling and so we rented bikes, I must say mine was particularly fetching with the micky mouse pendant hanging off it and a beautiful pink bell!

The ruins were in pretty good condition and there was a buddah every which way we looked. Some of the carvings were pretty stunning. There were wats with elephants around the base and others situated on islands in the middle of large lakes choked with water lilly and lotus flowers. Pretty place. We stopped for a drink and we noticed a stall selling strange bags, each bag contained a live turtle, live fish, severa lwrithing eels and a handfull of freshwater snails, I can only assume these were the ingredients of what we called 'swamp soup'

We headed off to see one final wat, this famous wat is home to 15m high seated buddah, it was spectacular and a nice end to our stay in Sukhothai.

photo by: DragonFlies