AsiaIndiaMunnar

Munnar

Munnar Travel Blog

Nilgiri Tahr

Kerala was unseasonally hot and dry so we decided to escape the humidity and we made our way up to Munnar, another hill station. The pleasant drive wound up through the forest and through banana, betel nut and rubber plantations and past cascading waterfalls.

Munnar is pretty high above the clouds, on the first day we had some breaks and were offered spectacular views of the surrounding tea estates and mountain escarpments. It was pleasantly cool and very lush. We took a look at some of the plantations, waterfalls and town.

The following day was misty and gloomy, we took a rickshaw to Eravikulam national park, at 2400 meters it was wet soggy, and a bit like Wales! the bus was heaving with tourists and we doubted that we would spot the animal we had come to see, the Nilgiri Tahr, a type of wild goat endemic to the Western Ghats.

Tea pickers
 Only 2000 remain, half of which live in the national park. We walked the 1km walking trail disappointed and soggy, with people screaming at the top of their lungs. We walked back dragging our feet hoping to see something. Usually I am not a wild flower kind of guy but I was bent down looking at the only speck of colour in the otherwise drab landscape when Suzan gave a little gasp, I looked up and was less than a meter away from a huge male Nilgiri Tahr who had emerged through the undergrowth silently. It lowered its head as if to but me and I slowly backed off, it solemnly walked out onto the path and made its way up the mountain side as if to survey its domain, the cloud cleared and below us we could see a heard grazing. Not a bad end to our trip to Munnar!

munnarguide says:
Munnar was a finest place in kerala.Especially  the rajamalais famous varaiyadu/Nilgiri tahr was a amazing experiance for peoples who visit green green munnar.
Posted on: Aug 23, 2010
ejcorry says:
Think I'm about to hurl with jealousy. Looks amazing and sooo not Jersey. Who did you organise this bit of the trip with? Is it all through the research station? Hope you two are well and coping with the tropical damp. Its very dull and polite round here without you. Spencer is leaving! Off to be an entomologist finally, but first he has to pass a test...MSc at Imperial. Lucky sod. Keep sending the photos. Take care. Liz x
Posted on: Aug 19, 2010