Theiving Arabs!

Egypt Travel Blog

I arrived at Sharm el Sheikh airport alone only to find it empty and no person to help me back from the airport to the hotel (aka transfers).  The arabs who ran taxis from the airport were very keen to have my business and this was never claimed back, as there had been a misunderstanding between us both.  I went out that evening, but wasnt much fun on my own... Had a good nights sleep that night (without my bed clothes because of the heat, a lovely sight as Im sure you can imagine!)  Arose the following day and decided to explore?!  As I wheeled doen the strip where the previous night had had loud music and shops a plenty selling all sorts of egyptian memorabilia and was approached by a paper seller what asked;  You English?  Worst mistake, I said yes!!  He then proceeded to show me 'The Sun' in English.  After haggling for a while, we settled on 6 egyptian pounds which I found out later is about £1 sterling.  As I fiddled to get my money from my wallet, the paper seller snatched at the money and took a considerable amount of the money I had for the whole week I was there?!!!  Returned to my hotel room gutted.  I had been mugged the first day I was there...What else could happen?  Luckily, I was trouble free for the rest of the time I was there, as was doing an Open Water scuba qualification and went back to the room drained and knackered.  But this kinda put me off travelling alone in a wheelchair?!