It's all but over now

Puerto Viejo Travel Blog

on the beach in Manuel Antonio

Right lets try this again. Ive just spent about half an hour typing up the last week of my holiday to lose it in an unexplained computer error. Damn it was a good blog too.

Right, last I wrote was from Jaco when we had just arrived, that night we met some crazy people. There was Genevieve, the unbalanced French teenager who threw a hissy fit when I accidentally spilt a few drops of beer on her and tried to spray me with hers, Fernando, this horribly cheesy guy who liked everyone to know that he was into snowboarding and tried to get everyone to play a game of 'guess what my job is'. What a tool. The best person we met was Derek (or Poor Derek as he became known when Clairine decided she had had her fun with him and wanted to go dancing with Tico's on a later date) That night proved again that the best fun was to be had before going out at the hostel (well, actually the best fun was in the swimming pool in the early hours ) we went to the bar but it was shit so we only stayed for one drink and left after the beer spilling incident.

Rocking J's

Next day we headed for Quepos where we met Paul who became Poor Paul after his relentless advances on Clairine were relentlessly rejected. I was sharing a room with him and had to listen through waves of boredom and fatigue about how he doesn´t understand women and how this always happens to him that he meets girls and he thinks they are interested and never gets anywhere. Poor Paul. Yeah right poor me!! All I could hear through the wall was the girls laughing and clearly having a much better time than me. Next day we were wandering round the town and went into an art shop. Oscar the artist took a bit of a shine to Anna and Clairine and invited us out that night. Or rather I got the impression he was inviting Anna and Clairine out and I was tagging along. So anyway we bumped into Poor Derek again in the street. He seemed pretty made up to meet Clairine again and I (failing to pick up on her lack of interest) invited him out with us that night. He was staying in a hotel in Manuel Antonio which is the beach suburb of Quepos.

the bay
We followed and got to this pretty plush hotel with aircon and private bathrooms. I had a room to myself it was heaven. Special mention has to go to Randall at this point, the front desk guy he was such a nice genuine person who was fascinated with everything. He was a bit slow but was a great guy. We were reading through the guest comments book and nearly everyone had something nice to say about him. That night we ditched Poor Derek and met up with Oscar and his mates Justin and Mariela, a newly wed couple who were sound as. Mariela spoke no English at all so she sat most of the night just smiling at everyone so was lovely. Justin was finding it hilarious to try and teach us rude Spanish- he kept pointing at Anna necklace and saying 'me me gusta culiar' and getting her to repeat it. When she did everyone burst out laughing, she had actually said 'I like fucking' which amused us all greatly. We went to the beach with a couple of bottles of Guaro, the local sugar cane fire water which I will be bringing as many bottles of home with me as Im allowed. Good times were had that night. The next night we did more of the same, guaro beaches and laughter a plenty. A huge storm rolled in which forced us to retreat to the hotel where we hung about in one of the little seated areas. We did see the first sloth of the trip though, Clairine has a photo of it but it kind of looks a bit like its painted on to the wall.
last night in Costa Rica

Next day we took a bus from Quepos to San Jose to get to the Carribean coast. We headed straight for the Hostel Pangea where we were sure we could find a crew of good people to drink with, but alas all we found was sober serious girl who totally sucked the life out of us. 'I feel like I'm  bungee jumping off a sober cliff' was Anna's most memorable quote which fitted the situation perfectly. So we turned to the old faithful, Carlos the barman who took us to a rock bar (the only place selling booze in San Jose at 2am) where he professed his undying love for Anna, who declined as politely as she could because she was with me .

flip cup
I hate to be a cynic but I wonder how many other American girls he has fallen hopelessly in love with, just for one night.

Next day we jumped on the early bus to Puero Viejo de Talamanca, my first taste of the Carribean. It was a sweet place, so chilled out and it just looks like I had imagined the Carribean would. We checked into Rocking J's, the coolest hostel Ive ever been in. It was mostly tents and hammocks with a few shitty rooms as well. We opted for the tents although I moved to a hammock at 6am when the sun cam up and turned my tent into an oven. That afternoon we went for a walk along the beach and bumped into a guy who prepared a fresh coconut for us. It was the highlight of the day for me, it tasted soo good. We met some great people at that hostel, Dave from somewhere in America, Erin from New Yawk City, and a couple of other girls I cant remember the names of. We finally had a crew worthy of some drinking games so we played a round of peer bong, which me and Dave cleaned up at (after a shaky start- my aim definitely got better after a few drinks).

screw you guys
So that night was good craic until the early hours when the nightwatchman told us to knock it on the head.

Next day was my last proper day of holiday so we hired some bikes and took about a 6km ride out of town to Playa Uva, probably the most beautiful beach Ive been on. The surf looked pretty tame so we went in for a swim but it actually was pretty rough. I suffered a twisted shoulder and a near death experience when the wave I was riding threw me over the top, slammed me onto the bottom and held me there for what felt like ages. I emerged coughing and spluttering clutching my shoulder and shaking. Pretty scary. We headed back to the hostel in what we thought was plenty of time for me to catch the 4pm bus but we weren't accounting for Tico time (Ticos have a laidback attitude towards time, appointments and general pace of life. It took an hour and a half to get a toasted sandwich and an ice cream which left me only 10 minutes to get to the bus when I got back to the hostel. So we said some very rushed goodbyes which was not what I wanted at all. It totally knocked me for 6 saying goodbye to the girls especially Anna. We had got really close over the last 3 weeks and I hate goodbyes anyway but this one was the worst. It officially marked the end of my holiday, I got back to San Jose last night and have been moping about ever since. I met a girl at the hostel that I knew from an earlier stop who invited me out but I just wanted to be miserable. I'm really looking forward to getting home now, for me Costa Rica was all about being with Anna and Clairine and without them it's just not much fun. I need to be round people I know now who can go for a drink with me and make me feel better. I cant be bothered starting again with new people.

Ok, now its time for the last piece of business of the holiday, tacky souvenir shopping!!!!!

Rocking Js