Salzburg

Salzburg Travel Blog

I got up 7.30am and packed quietly as not to disturb the other guys in my room. I had the buffet breakfast before walking across to the train station. I got the 9.27am RailJet train to Salzburg. This train was amazingly quick, the journey took only 1hr 31mins and I was at my hostel in Salzburg by 11.30am.

The hostel I stayed in was meat to be one of the 'Famous Hostels of Europe'. Back in its day, it may have been a real party place, but the whole experience there could have been better. Each day they would play the film 'The sound of music' from 11am, which must really grate on the hostel staff.

This would be my only day in Salzburg, which was enough for me. The weather could have been a lot warmer, it was freezing cold and wet. I hadn't packed cloves or a hat for this trip, but today I could have done with them.

I dumped my bags and headed straight out to tour the city centre which was about a 15 minutes walk away. Everything is Salzburg is packed into a compact space, so super easy to see everything quickly. I climbed the hill to the castle, saw it was roughly £10 to get in and turned back! To be honest, it was so cold that I just wanted to keep moving. I grabbed some lunch and headed back to the hostel to chill out.

The sun eventually came out and I headed back out into the city centre and checked out the park and tried to get into the Mozart museum, but I was too late, it had already closed.

Thats cheating!