Queens Day

Amsterdam Travel Blog

On the previous day I found a shop selling orange t-shirts for 10euro, well it had to be done. The brighter the orange the better! Oranged up, I headed to have breakfast in the hostel before heading out to the Central station to meet the other for 10am.

The streets seemed so quiet, it was amazingly peaceful for Amsterdam. From my hostel near Vondel Park to the Central station I only passed about 20 people!! Then at 10 people started pouring out of the station. It was as if everyone lives outside of the main city centre and was just visiting it for the day. I know that wasn't the case, but it just felt like that. By 11am we were still waiting for the last few people but the town centre was packed and everyone on mass heading in the same direction.

Amsterdam was alive! People blow air horns and whistles, and a few even had some orange flares to set off. Had the mood been different it could have been a riot, haha! Out group was now about 30 strong, but that would only last until the first pub stop.

The weather was slightly overcast and rainy for the until lunchtime and we stopped in a bar for two rounds of drinks or an apple juice and hot chocolate in my case. We stopped for about 45 mins before heading on further into town slowly heading to Liesiplain and Museumplatz where a concert was taking place.

There were so many people and so many different ways to get to the end place that the group soon split up. Mobile networks were busy and calls to other splinter groups were not getting though. Along they way we stopped to grab some Pizza and watched two guys up in one of the windows playing saxophones to the crowed below. I later found out that one of those guys was also staying with Courtney who I later met in Verona.

We stopped off in Liesiplain square to meet up with Ket, and others. We soon headed onto Museum platz to the open air concert. Everywhere was packed out and we tried a few different routes to find the best spot. My energy was lagging from the lack of sleep the night before, so I headed back to my hostel close by. It was a great day and a real highlight of my Europe tour! I would really recommend Queensday to anyone and hope to go again in the next few years.

Where we were partying on Queens N…
Where we were partying on Queens …
Floating BBQ