Meeting Lauro

Dusseldorf Travel Blog

I left Amsterdam early and went to catch the train at the Central station. In the daylight of the morning after the big Queens Day party the clean-up operation was still in full swing. It was a miserable rainy day, so I was clad to be on my way.

At central station I found the platform my train should have been departing form, however it was missing form the departure boards, aughh. I checked with the assistant on the station concourse who told me that there was engineering work happing on the direct route, so I would have to change 3 times.

My journey would have been direct and about 2 1/2 hours, now I was looking at a 6 hour journey with about 2 hours of waiting around for trains.

I finally got to Düsseldorf and took the short walk to the hostel where I was staying at about 5pm. I know where my hostel was as I has stayed there two years earlier when a 'not so mini' meetup was organised there by Lauro.

When I arrived at the hostel, I had the 6-bed dorm to myself and the beds were super comfy. I sorted my stuff out, freshened up after my journey and headed out to meet Lauro at the central station. There way some sort of May Day live gig going on in front of the station, which was really cool, not that I understood what was being sung.

Lauro and I headed out to the old town. We found a bar and sat outside and had a chat, we were both really excited about the Iceland road-trip and spend ages just chatting about that and the awesome team that was lined up to take part. After our drink, we were both getting a big cold so headed off to find a place to eat. Lauro took me to a really good Chinese place and kindly talked me though the menu.

It was a really good meal and we then went for a walk which took us to the river bank, across the bridge where we did the famous meetup group photo back in 2008, along the other side of the river and headed back to the central station. It was a time of the evening when the light was fading which was good as Lauro wanted to test out his new DSLR camera.

We stopped off at a MacDonalds for another hot drink before Lauro went home and I headed back to my hostel. It was great to catch up with Lauro and we made plans for the following day to meet up to do something.

Dusseldorf