Arriving in Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

I set off at around 10am to catch the train to Berlin. The main hofbahnhof station was just 10 mins walk from my hostel grabbed a Mit Brie roll to enjoy for my on-board lunch from the bakers located in Düsseldorf station.

German trains are great as everyone knows. The train was clean and smooth and the journey time only 4 hours. the train arrived into the main Berlin station at 4pm, and not a minute late. Berlin's main train station is amazing, super modern with the platforms stacked, like I found in Belgium. The station had a grand glass front to it and the who place just oozed German efficiency.

I had to find the information desk to ask for a metro map and to ask where the metro was. The guy helpfully pointed me towards the right escalators and after a few minutes of walking around found the blue line that would take me to the stop where my hostel was.

Once at street level of the metro stop when my hostel was at, I took the short walk to the hostel. Wombats was the hostel I choose in advance, and it was bright and colourful. The staff were super friendly and got me booked in real quick. The room was fresh with bright colours and modern bunks. The bathroom was super clean too.

I dumped my bags and headed out to check out the local area. To be hones, I thought the local area was a big of a dive, even the next door building had a beggar in its doorway. I grabbed an apple from a nearby shop and walked back to the hostel.

I chilled out in my room for about an hour, reading up on stuff to do in Berlin and my next few city stops. I met a guy who was staying in my room, he too was from England and was job hunting in Berlin, but was due to move on the next day.

Feeling too lazy to cook, I ate in the Louisiana Kid restaurant which was attached to the hostel, but open to the public. It was a chilled out place, with quiet trade that evening. I ordered a BBQ burger and chips and salad. It was a big of an extravagant treat, and I used up 2 days food budget on the one meal, opps, however the food was great!

After dinner I had a poke around the hostel, found the laundry room, and the guest kitchen. I used the internet terminals for 15 mins, and checked out the 'Sky Bar' on the fifth floor. They give you a voucher to get a free drink, so headed up there and checked out the place. It had a roof-top terrace with great views over the city. It was a bit quiet, but stayed up there for a bit to plan some stuff for the next few days before heading to bed.

photo by: CFD