The Start

Brussels Travel Blog

My trip started from London, taking the Eurostar to Brussels Midi. I arrived at Kings Cross St. Pancras with an hour to spare, so I grabbed a panini from a coffee shop and relaxed.

The train journey took 2 hours to Brussels and when I arrived I headed to the flat where I was staying for my 4 days in the city. After dropping off my bags, I headed straight out to Grand Place. The Brussels metro is possibly one of the easiest to use, and they play music on the platforms while you wait, which is fun.

To me, Grand Place seemed touristy and I didn't stick around long. I needed to find an internet cafe and a tourist information office. After 1 hour of walking around, I found neither, so I headed back to the neighbourhood I was staying and did a food shop.

I made some dinner and headed out to the nearby park. The evening was warm and skies were clear, so it was a good evening to be outside. To be honest my first day felt like a bit of slow start to my trip. I know that I needed to make good use of the next three days in Brussels.

It felt strange knowing I would be away for 11 weeks. I was excited to have so much time to travel, however slightly unsettled at the same time.

photo by: Vlindeke