EuropeItalyRome

The Vatican museum

Rome Travel Blog

Getting up at 6:30 this morning was brutal and the sun, ffod and drink of the last 3 days meant that I was feeling like crap.  In a daze we ate cold leftover pizza for breakfast and got onto the metro to go to the Vatican.  Once at Spagna, the train stopped and we waited and waited.  After 15 minutes or so there was an announcement in Italian and eveyone got off the train.  We had no choice but to follow.  Aware of the time and how big the queue was going to be at the museum we jumped in a taxi to take us the rest of the way and arrived - as planned - at 8:00am.  The queue was already sizeable by this point so we joined and waited for the doors to open at 9:00.  All we really wanted to see was the Sistine Chapel so we hurried through the other parts of the museum but even then it took an hour to reach the chapel - the museum is HUGE!  Once through the Chapel we followed the signs through miles and miles of rooms to find the exit - it really would take a lifetime to see it all.
  Finally back outside I had a quick gelato then we headed back to the apartment.  We just had enough time to pack and finish tidying up before Michael came to pick us up to take us to the airport.  I was really struggling to keep my eyes open in the minivan on the way to the airport and hoped I would just be able to sleep on the flight on the way home.  No such luck, but we did get an awesome view of the alps as we flew around them - snowy peaks nrising above a layer of equally white cloud - like bits of merangue in a big bowl of ice cream.
Rome