Travel Day: South Africa to Home

Johannesburg Travel Blog

The long journey back home begins. First a train to kempton park, then a taxi to the airport.  Waiting for trains in joburg, I must have spent a full 24 hours waiting for trains.  I must say, I'm very glad I am done with these hideous trains.

It is a little confusing, at Kempton Park Station.  It is best to ask the locals where the taxi rank is, and then take the most common answer out of the five.  The taxi to the airport is 70 Rand, but the van is only 6 Rand per person, so you damn right I took the van.  There is a sign that reads 'Airport' just in front of where the vans wait, just ask around for it, if you ask a taxi driver they will tell you there is no such van because they want to take you.  But once you find the van, it gets there pretty quick, once full of course.

I watched the Italy versus Slovakia game with some Australians while waiting for my flight.  Slovakia won 2-0.  God hates me.  I know this because if there is a crying 3 year old anywhere in the world I will sit next to it on a plane.  My flight to Cape Town was rough.

I had a long layover in Cape Town, so I was able to watch the next game.  Japan really impressed.  Great skill 3-1 was the final.

I tried to charm the flight check in lady at the Cape Town airport and convince her that I needed to be upgraded to business class.  But alas my charm was not enough.  Coach was in my future for the next 2 days of flights and airports.  I must brush up on my skills.

Big ups to the people of South Africa.  I had a great time.  I loved the fact that the locals welcomed us visitors and really wanted us to enjoy our visit.  South Africa is a beautiful country and I hope it gets to where it wants to go soon.