Travel Day: Cape Town to Johannesburg

Johannesburg Travel Blog

The bus ride to the airport

What alot of chrome I got, the spray spaint says.  Two cars were covered in chrome and black spray paint.  (I dont remember why I wrote this, this is why pictures are helpful.)

Yesterday I checked out how to get to the airport cheaply.  It turns out, the bus to the airport is 200 meters from the Cape Town train station, and costs only 50 Rand.  This is much cheaper than the 350 Rand I paid to get to my hostel from the airport.  The bus was very comfortable and the ride lasted only 30 minutes.

I was also pleased with Mango Airlines.  Everything was smooth and easy for a budget airline.  Once I arrived in Johannesburg my driver was nowhere to be found.  I called the hostel and was told he was there but might be late.  He showed up 15 minutes later.  It turns out he was late because he was told to wait for me at the international arrivals, even though I stressed by email that I was arriving in the domestic terminal.  On the way to the hostel, the driver got lost, really lost.  When we finally got to the hostel I was nervous, it seemed to be in the middle of a suburban neighberhood.  I was worried about being able to get to Johannesburg cheaply and easily. Walter, the guy working the front desk assured me the train into town is near.  He just didnt mention how infrequent the train runs, and that it takes over an hour to get there, minor details.