Game Day: USA v Slovenia

Johannesburg Travel Blog

The stadium

I decided a few days ago that it didnt make sense spending 2,500 US dollars on a flight across the world and not seeing my country play in the World Cup.  So, here I am in Johannesburg, in a hostel an hour away from town and ticketless to an apparently sold out game.

I walked to the Olifantsfontein train station from the hostel.  Instead of telling me how to get to the station, Walter showed my the way, I can not even get a guy at Walmart to show me where something is two isles away.  Walter walked the entire way with me so I would not get lost.  More on the amazing Walter in a bit.  From the hostel, the walk takes about 15 minutes.

As I arrived at the station the train had just left.

some patriots
The next train was scheduled to arrive in 20 minutes, but it did not come for an hour and a half.  The price was right though, 14 Rand for a round trip ticket.  Batteries, tooth brushes, nail clippers, band aids, wash rags, dog leashes, wrist bands, sunglasses, vaseline, nik naks (South African cheetos), clothing, whatever you need it is for sale on the train.  The train took over an hour to get to Johannesburg.  I accidentaly got off the train one station early because I saw the stadium, but the walk was not far.

In front of the stadium, some dude decided his time was best spent standing in the middle of the pavement preaching about nonsense.  He needs a job.

I headed straight for the ticket center even though everyone giving me directions told me the game was sold out.  I figured it was worth a shot.  As I was lost in the ticket center I ran into this guy who said, "you looking for tickets?"  You damn right I am!

The seat was awesome, about 14 rows back.  The US went down 2-0 in the first half, and it looked like all hopes were dashed.  The US came out attacking in the second half, Coach Bradley replaced Findley for Feilhiber, and the US was able to equalize around the 80th minute, and actually took the lead, but a phantom penalty negated the goal.

Again the train was an hour late, this is Africa I must remember.  This will be a constant theme.

before the game