Fan Fest Anyone...Anyone?

Johannesburg Travel Blog

waiting for the train

I was preparing to leave the hostel to go into Pretoria to search for USA tickets when Blondie told me her Aunt was also going, and she would help me find my way.  Whereas Cape Town was easy for the visitor to find the stadium and Fan Fest, Pretoria is not this way.  There are no signs directing you to these areas, and as we found out it is not walking distance from the train station.  Apparently the fan fest is not even in Pretoria, but it very well could be because I never found the damn thing.

On the way to Pretoria, Auntie was telling me about the city name changes.  Many of the host cities in South Africa have 2 names.  I thought this was because 2 cities shared the stadium, but this was not the case.

waiting for the train
  One name is the old name and the second name is the new name.  The new government decided to rename the cities.  Auntie disagreed with this, she found it annoying that the government can just decide to change names if they decide.  This was an unexpected perspective, because the new names reflect the local people.

After a 9 Rand van ride to Broklyn Mall, I asked someone on the street how to get to the FIFA ticket center.  One man decided to walk me there.  It turned out to be inside the Broklyn Mall.  Once this guy took me into the FIFA center, he said that I should pay him 50 Rand for showing me the way. Now, it's not that I didn't think this was fair, it's just that you can't do something nice for someone and then ask for money afterwards.  He should have made it clear in the beginning that he would show me the way for 50 Rand, and if I wanted his help that bad I would have agreed.

I was disappointed to learn that the only seats left for the match were ultra premium seats.  Way too expensive for me.  After that I learned that there was a fan viewing center in a place called Hattfield Square.  But no one at the ticket center that worked there could tell me how to get there.  So I headed off in the direction i thought it would be, but turned back after walking about a mile.

I went into the mall to chill at a restaurant to drink some wine and get dinner.  I was able to watch the Australia v Ghana match.

I arrived at the hostel to a full house.  The 2 guys from Mexico gave birth to 2 American guys, and 1 dude from Spain.  We hung out and drank beer, 10 Rand for Heineken, and I occassionaly looked up to see who was winning the Denmark v Cameroon game.  The Danes took it 2-1.