Abandoned in Retreat

Cape Town Travel Blog

The beach in front of the hostel

I went to Long Street in Cape Town to book a flight and hostel in Johannesburg.  I went to the travel center next to cat and moose hostel.  The travel agent was able to set me up without a problem.  The flight to joburg was 1287 Rand.

After that I watched Portugal vs Ivory Coast at a bar called Meat on Long Steet.  After the game I walked to the fan fest.  I'm surprised when people ask me for money on the streets, because they are usually better dressed than me.  I look like Dave Chapelles ebulliant transient Tyrone Biggums.  One lady from Zimbabwe said it looked like I was wearing everything I owned.  She was pretty close, I wasn't wearing any underwear.

Gnarly jelly hanging on the beach

Fun fact, the state building next to fan fest is where Nelson Mandella gave his famous speech in 1990.  Also the grand parade, where the fan fest is located, is the oldest square in South Africa.

Everyone tells me I need to try a gatsby, so I found a restaurant on Long Street.  You have to order a mini for one person because that shits is huge.  The worker guy let me have the chicken with curry sauce even though it is not on the menu.  He even let me pick the spice, mild, medium, or hot snakes.  The sandwich comes with chicken, lettuce, french fries, so yeah super filling.

I was hanging out at the fan fest waiting for Brasil vs North Korea when it started raining.  So I decided to leave.  I caught the 8pm train just as it was leaving.
Long Street
  The conductor actually stopped the train so i could get on.  This turned out to be bad luck, but then it turned out good.  I will explain.

The train stopped half way to Muizenberg, my final destination, and the next train would not come until 3 hours later.  As I was standing there hearing this dreadful news, a guy came up to me and offered me a ride.  His friend was coming to pick him up and they lived in Muizenberg.  Indeed Jon's friend picked us up in the town of Retreat. They asked if I wanted to have some beers and watch the end of the game with them, you betcha. They took me to Melting Pot, a real chill place with candles and couches and a large movie screen to watch the game.  After the game, completely out of nowhere, Clara says I need to go home and make lots of pasta, do you want to come? Random as hell, but i am not the one to turn down some free food.  The pasta was great, we made a fire, drank some tea and talked about swag.  I didn't want to overstay my welcome, so I left after tea.

Meat