Beautiful Tallinn :O

Tallinn Travel Blog

Welcome to Tallinn!

On my way to Estonia today! Latvia had been very interesting, but I am happy to go to another country. There is no international train connection between Riga and Tallinn, so I took the Eurolines bus. At the bus station I met two guys from Lyon, France, who were biochemists, and we had a nice conversation. Almost every day so far I have met fellow travellers who like to strike up a conversation with me. I really notice that it is much easier to talk to others when I am travelling alone, instead of with a friend.

When I entered Estonia and I wanted to buy a candybar in a roadside shop, I noticed that the Estonian kroon “works” quite differently than the Latvian lat. You see, 5 lats is about 7 euros, but 1 euro equals to 15 Estonian krones.

Old city wall
I had changed some Latvian currency the night before, and I got a whole package of Estonian notes. However, Estonia will get the euro next year and the kroon will disappear. (Too bad, I think, because the kroon is quite beautifully design money. But I guess aesthetic reasons do not count in these matters.)

I arrived at my hostel in the afternoon and the first thing I did was to go to the ferry lines to book a passage to Helsinki for two days from now. It is only 1.5 hours on the hydrofoil to Helsinki so that makes for a very nice daytrip. The Linda Line ferry is located away from the other docks, hidden behind some weird old building covered in stairs and broken glass. On my way back there was a guy of my age chasing after me, asking me for money. I hate it when that happens.
Leave me alone!

Here are a few things I noticed about Tallinn when I compared the city with Riga in Latvia: Tallinn is very northern European looking. It looks very much like a Scandinavian city, simply because of its architecture. The old city center has lots of buildings with flat fronts, painted in soft colors. Lots of houses are colored soft yellow, or pink. Riga, on the other hand, is more stately, muscular. Riga makes a very eastern European impression. Tallinn is also smaller. Especially as capitol cities go, Tallinn is quite small, but its historic center is big.

There are also a lot of tourists in Tallinn. A lot more than in Riga. The city seems to be completely integrated into the European tourist circuits. Finnish people go to Tallinn for cheap alcohol, and there are also lots of Italian and Spanish tourists.
Welscome to Tallinn!
(Why? Why from these countries in particular? I have no idea.)

Tallinn has magnificent medieval old walls around its center. They are not very tall or strong looking, but the walls have many picturesque little towers with red tiled roofs. It took a walk through the park around the city, where you can see the towers in all their glory. There was also some kind of flower festival going on, and there were many strange works of art standing around.

The entrance gates to the city look like the entrance to an entertainment park with a middle-ages theme going on. On first view, Tallinn looks like an incredibly beautiful city; a medieval fairy-tale city. The best thing to do is simply to enter the old town and to get lost. There are lots of restaurants with middle-ages themes, lots of very beautiful girls around, and the temperature was dropped to a pleasant 23 degrees C. What more can I ask for?

I would save some of Tallinn’s highlights for the coming days, but I could not resist walking up the main square with its cafes and its town hall, and have a real Estonian beer and enjoy the view. I am delighted!

novabelgica says:
Bedankt voor de info.
Posted on: Aug 30, 2010
Jeroenadmiraal says:
The bus ride took about 4.5 hours. I booked this ride in advance, a few months in advance on the Eurolines webpage. It is a very busy route and the bus was completely full. There is also a Eurolines and Ecolines office in the Riga International Bus Station and you can try to book a seat a few days in advance, but if you are travelling with multiple persons I would not take the risk and book earlier.
Posted on: Aug 29, 2010
novabelgica says:
You're pretty much doing the trip we want to do next year, so I would like to ask how long the bus ride took? Did you have to book this in advance?
Posted on: Aug 29, 2010