eat. drive. shop. drive.

Chicago Travel Blog

eating the fruishi

We started the day early to eat breakfast and then hit the road -- Trisha had done well without Annalyn, but was anxious to get back home to her.

Our brunch spot Christen had picked out was Orange; Trisha's request had been some place that compared to her favorite breakfast restaurant in Denver.  Orange's feature is 'fruishi', sushi made with fruit, and their pancakes.  They even have a make your own juice combination menu.  I don't normally order juice, but I couldn't pass up watermelon juice!  I got a watermelon pineapple combination that was really good.  We each ordered the featured pancake flight -- a set of four different babycake stacks, each with their own international flavor, in honor of the upcoming World Cup.  We leisurely ate our breakfast, noting we had gotten there at the perfect time.  By nine o'clock, the place was hopping, with a line out the door.

We went back to Christen's apartment, where she took us up to the roof for a bird's eye view of the city of Chicago.  Her apartment building is on Lake Shore Drive, and has a fantastic view of Lake Michigan and the city sky-line.  We didn't linger; loading the car and hitting the road by just after ten o'clock.  We had a five-hour-ish drive South.  We did make one stop, at the outlet mall in Tuscola, where Trisha shopped in a whirlwind for Annalyn.  I went in Old Navy and bought 2 pairs of flip flops.

We made it home about 4:30, pushing five o'clock.  It was definitely a nice weekend getaway.

watermelon pineapple juice