Orcas Island

Deer Harbor Travel Blog

The harbor

Woke up this morning and took a little dip in my hot tub on the deck. Once again, the bed was hard as a rock and I didn't get much sleep. I finally figured out at about 4 am that I could fold the duvet up under me and use it for cushioning! So tried to sleep for a couple more hours and got up abpout 6:30. Walked down to the marina and then went to breakfast. I met a lady from Britain who had just gotten off a 6 day sailing charter. She loved it and we got to talking. Seems she takes alot of sailing vacations. I offered her a ride to the ferry and since we had time to kill, we drove around the island a bit before I dropped her off.

Afterwards I headed toward Moran Park but didn't make it. I had booked a whale watch trip at 1 pm so I just wandered around Eastsound Village for a little while and went back to Deer Harbor to catch the boat.

Eastsound Village
We headed out for a few hours. At first they said the whales were right around the other side of the island but when we caught up to them they were beelining towards something. The crew figured they were moving about 8 knots. So we parallelled them for a long time. We did get to see lots of fins, a few breaches and playing activity. The seas were pretty much calm and the sun had come out so it was quite a pleasant trip. Got back to the dock about 4 and I debated what I was going to do. I was terribly sleepy but I figured if I went to the cabin and sat down to rest, my day was over.

So since there was lots of daylight left, I headed to Moran State Park again. This time I got there. I drove up to Mt Constitution where there was an incredible view.

View from Mt Constitution
You could see Mt Ranier, Bellingham, Anacortes, and the Olympic Mtns. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon! I then decided to head for dinner. Plan A was a place called Cafe Olga - billed as generous servings at affordable prices. Closed Plan B- Doe Bay Resort Cafe. I headed down there and wouldn't you know, pizza night. Didn't want pizza. So Plan C. By now I had given up a dinner that wouldn't break the bank so I went to a place called Inn at Ship Bay. Had a dinner much like the night before. Sitting on the outside deck watching the sunset, eating small amounts of food for large amounts of cash. Oh well, you pay for ambiance! It was funny because they must have a turkey vulture roost right next door to them. The turkey vultures were flying around all throughout dinner. I heard one man comment to his date that they were eagles who hadn't gotten their white yet since it takes awhile. OK the white part was right but not the eagle part. I was nbice enough not to correct him in front of his date!

I went back to the cabin and started planning for tomorrow. I decided to go to San Juan Island and was searching online for a reasonably priced place to stay. There aren't any. So I went to bed.

Resort at Deer Harbor