Let's see - yard work or road trip? Road trip!

Brinnon Travel Blog

Out of Port Townsend

I have a problem. My wanderlust gene is way dominant over every other gene I have! Instead of necessary yardwork and required home maintenance, I have once again chosen to ignore both and run away as fast as my hybrid Highlander will carry me! I woke up at 7 am and looked at the weeds, and then at my poor empty suitcase that was full from my trip to New Zealand and Victoria, BC just 10 days ago, and I felt compelled to fill it up and drive away. By 9:30 am, I had packed up, set the little lovebirds up for a few days, and headed north. I caught the ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone and went up to Anacortes for the ferry to Orcas Island.

Lake Pondilla at Fort Ebey SP

Having a little time to kill I explored Whidbey Island a bit. It was much more rural than I had expected, with lots of farm land and wooded parks. Oak Harbor was built up with Walmart and Kmart and Home Depot and lots of fast food places but otherwise it was quiet. I stopped at Fort Ebey State Park and took a little hike to Lake Pondilla. It is a nice park but I had more ahead to explore. I went north on Whidbey Island to Deception Pass. Just a brief stop and I added it to my list of places where I need to spend some time. Maybe a take the tent trailer camping trip. It was beautiful and a big state park. I was a little concerned about catching the ferry so I went on to the ferry dock where I got there a couple hours early. So I picked up a picnic lunch at the cafe and sat and ate with a nice view of the water and the mountains.

Beach at Fort Ebey
It was still a long two hours but finally the ferry came and we headed towards Orcas Island. It was an enjoyable hour long ferry ride - the weather was beautiful as was the scenery. It could have been made better with some orcas but no such luck.

I arrived at Orcas Island with no real plans. I figured I'd stay at the Resort at Deer Harbor which has ties to my timeshare company and gives us a reduced rate. I stopped at one other place and asked the price there and just headed up the road. Too much for my pocketbook! Went on to the Resort which has nice little cottage rooms with a little half kitchen, a deck and your own hot tub. It is nice. I walked up the road to the Deer Harbor Inn for dinner - about a half mile I guess, a leisurely 15 minute stroll. It was pricey for small portions but tasty. The appetizer of gouda cheese, sliced apples and smoked salmon was a marvelous combination of flavors and the halibut with white wine dijonnaise sauce and Havarti cheese was good too.

View from the ferry
Kevin would have left hungry though although I was full. I wandered back to the cottage with a little detour down onto the marina docks. Nice little place. I'll have to check on the whale watching trips in the morning. I have a craving for seeing more whales. Not sure what that's about but I just do for the moment.

So while driving up the road on Orcas Island, I noticed that there are signs for the mayoral race. I thought they were a little weird. One said Vote Meow. Others had Vote for Carla, Vote for Tractor, vote for Bossy and vote for April. Odd names all for a mayors race, not to mention the signs themselves were a bit off for a political campaign. As I found out later, the candidates for mayor this year are a cat, a cow and a dog, a Lab I was told. A Great Dane is the current mayor!  Odd little place this is!

Brinnon