Belgium Day 3

Brugge Travel Blog

Today was a late start, it was either the time difference or having a late night with our new Dutch friends... Today was our first day to travel by train and let me tell you, Erin and I were a bunch of tourists. We had no idea what we were doing. We bought our tickets and couldnt even tell you if they were for one way or two ways. We ended up finding someone who helped us but now we had no idea where we needed to go to catch our train, so when I asked someone they looked at me like I was dumb and said "platform 1," well a little embarassed I thanked him and left without asking where platform 1 was. This went on for awhile but we ended finding our train. Our first train ride in Europe was to Brugge.

Next to a canal in the city

Brugge is a small city that is surrounded by cananls and has a few canals that weave in and out of it. Erin and I were really excited to get to Brugge because it was known for carriage rides and gondola rides. When we first got to Brugge it was raining and kind of chilly, not a good start since Erin and I were in shorts and t-shirts with no umbrellas. Either way, the town was still beautiful. There was no new part to it, all of it was from the 12th-15th century. There werent very many cars in the streets, just a lot of bikes and horses. I also found out that Belgium is known for lace and Brugge is really known for lace. Every other shop was a lace shop so we picked one and headed in. I wasnt to sure about lace shops because on the outside it looks like somewhere my grandmother would go to get material.

Infront of Lady of Our Church
Lace materials hanging, creepy teddy bears, and ceramics, but walking into the one we went into was different. I saw all of the stuff I assumed I would but in the background I heard a very well known American song playing... Ice Ice Baby! It was impossible for me to keep it together once I heard that, so I had to leave.

After pulling it together we proceeded to walk around town and found a very large church calle the Church of Our Lady. We went in and there happened to be a service going on, it was really awesome. Tourist still walked around and took pictures, the building was had all types of old art and even had an original piece of Michelangelo's. Right next to the church was a palace that you could walk around inside for one euro.

inside the church
 You could tell it was someone very important because in the bedroom it had a little chappel room that had windows that would over look the inside of the chappel in the Church of our Lady. We couldnt take any pictures inside but got some good ones outside.

We didnt really have any plans to where we were going after the church, Brugge is small enough that you can walk across it in about a half an hour. So we left the church and decided to go right and for those of you that know Erin, walking around without schedule is a sight in it's own. Doing this we ended up finding the Burg square which has the city hall in it. It was really beautiful and had a lot of gold castings all over it. We went inside and learned a little of the history of it.

Michelangelo's art
The building itself dated all the way back to the 11th century! There was a 3D tour of the history and talked about when things were added, fires, etc. Right next to the Burg square is the Market, a big square that is about 5 football fields large. On one side is the Belfry, a large clocktower that you can see from anywhere as well. I'm not sure what it was but it was closed so we couldnt go inside, we were bummed we really wanted to climb to the top. Next to the Belfry was a big building called the Provincial Court and the rest of the square were all restraunts, very expensive restraunts. By this time we were getting very hungry but couldnt find anywhere that was less than 23 euros a plate, which is like $25.00!

We soon learned that everything closed between 4:00 and 5:00 and it was a little after 5:00 by the time we kind of figured out the town.

the palace next to the church
We found a muesums that we wanted to go to but by the time we got there they were closed. So we decided it was about time to head home, and on our way we stopped at a little diner and had mussels and chips (french fries with mayo), it was delecious.

In the begining of our day we wanted to do two things, ride in a horse drawn carriage and ride a gondola. Well when we got there we found out that the carriage rides were 35 euros for less than 30 minutes and the gondolas werent the romantic ride we thought they'd be. You are more in a motor boat with twenty other people and a driver with a loud microphone giving acting as your tour guide. So we didnt do either but ended up still having a blast. Brugge would definitely be recommended to others.

Michelangelos art
Michelangelo's art
Burg square
Burg square
Belfry tower
Belfry tower
Market square
Market square
Shop with nothing but beer.
Shop with nothing but beer.
Brugge