Taking a Walk on the Quiet Side

Northeast Harbor Travel Blog

Northeast Harbor, Maine

Back in Acadia country, it was still rainy outside so we continued the road trip to my favorite village on the quiet side of the island, Northeast Harbor.  Northeast Harbor sits on one side of Somes Sound, claimed to be the only fjord on the east coast of the United States.  Experts disagree, arguing that it does not possess the proper height or depth and is in fact a fjard, or water inlet scraped into existence by the massive glacier that shaped much of Acadia.  Call it what you like, I am happy to describe this seven mile inlet which cuts the island into its eastern and western halves as simply beautiful.

Northeast Harbor is likewise simply beautiful.  The attraction of this tiny village is that it possesses several tasteful art shops and not one single tourist crap shop, the latter overrunning every other congregation of buildings on the island.  Kim, Spencer and I were content to check out these inviting shops before driving back to Bar Harbor.

vances says:
No art purchases in the fjard...but I did score a funky pair of earrings for Kim in Bar Harbor.
Posted on: Jul 03, 2010
Sweetski says:
I guess there's art in the fjard :) Did you buy any?
Posted on: Jul 03, 2010