Out on the town

Portland Travel Blog

One Longfellow Square, Portland --- intimate stage featuring an awesome line-up!

After a picnic lunch with our friends at Crescent Beach it was back to Old Port.  We were going to meet some other friends for dinner and a concert at 5PM, so just enough time for a final stroll through Old Port.  It was a touch sad making the final tour, but we still had much to look forward to.

I had called a buddy a few nights before and invited him to meet us for dinner in Portland Saturday night, and he let me know he was already heading down to see a music act.  His partner knew Juliana Zuckerman (much to my surprise, the daughter of Pinkas Zuckerman) and they were planning on catching her play at One Longfellow Square, an intimate venue in Portland.  He told me she was warming up for somebody named Catie.  Catie Curtis?  Outstanding!  Kim and I have been fans of Catie for fifteen years and never seen her perform live.  Funny thing is that Catie is a Maine native (although she lives in Boston now) and our friends didn’t know of her.

Better yet, despite my suggesting Street and Company for dinner, my buddy vetoed that with 555, which was unknown to us and apparently the latest hot spot.  This proved to be a tremendous recommendation and merits a separate review.

Our fabulous meal was followed up with a splendid performance.  One Longfellow Square is another place to monitor if you are interested in visiting Maine.  A very small club (seats perhaps 150?), they entertain a fabulous schedule of performers and serve a broad selection of wine and beers (apparently mixed drinks too, but there was some bash the previous night which drained them of liquor, lol).  The real highlight of the night was Catie performing a song about her father which I have always cherished, and her dad was in the audience!

Couldn’t ask for more on our final night, it was Maine after all.

One Longfellow Square, Portland --…
One Longfellow Square, Portland -…
555
Portland Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
fine fives
A dynamite dining option in downtown Portland, 555 is a fairly new venue that is garnering rave reviews in this foodie haven. The restaurant earned a… read entire review
Portland