Off to The Mex!

Ellsworth Travel Blog

City Hall, Ellsworth, Maine

The motivation for venturing inland to Ellsworth was a return to The Mex, a Mexican restaurant featuring a large frog as its mascot.  I would invariably stop here on the way to or from Bar Harbor in the past and we thought Spencer would enjoy the fun décor.  In addition, we had never explored the town at all – it was merely a through point on the way to Acadia.

The rain started as we got back on the mainland, reinforcing this was a good idea, but it was light so driving was easy.  It was a fun lunch, despite being a bit disappointed with the quality of our meals.  Last time we had eaten here was ten years ago, pre-dating our time in Texas where we had the opportunity to appreciate real Mexican food I guess.

It was more or less drizzling by the time we wrapped up our lunch, so we padded about downtown a bit.  Just a handful of typical tourist and antique shops, nothing gripping, so we punted before long and steered back to Mount Desert Island.

Sweetski says:
Yep, once you've sampled the real deal it's hard to enjoy 'pretend to be' chow. On the other hand, it does renew your appreciation for the real stuff :)
Posted on: Jul 03, 2010
The Mex!
The Mex!
Ellsworth Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
I Hop to the Mex
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Even before getting to Maine, Kim and I decided we needed to get back to The Mex for a meal. This was a traditional w… read entire review
photo by: vances