Taj Mahal

Agra Travel Blog

I arose at 5am, and left to go and see the Taj Mahal, my hotel guy was sleeping (obviously, at this ungodly hour) and I woke him up accidently. Hardly anybody was awake and even though there were guards, I wasn't allowed in through the south gate yet so had to go to the West gate, pay a rip-off 750Rs!!! and then got searched and wasn't allowed my book or journal (why?) and had to walk back to the locker room, refused to pay the 20Rs or whatever the 'gori' charge was, and then finally allowed in. Food was also banned so the monkeys gladly had packets of Lays and such like. I love the monkeys here, they're even more human-like and more mature, not like those spoilt-child-bratish ones in S.E. Asia.

It was quite busy already, but still WOW! The main gateway was beautiful enough and as you walk through the Taj Mahal appears before your eyes.

I met some guy (from Chile) who was also by himself and we went round together. There was a mosque on one side that was also beautiful and a reddish colour, from that side, the sun was behind the Taj and it was just mesmerizing. The detail is so much, for a start it's symmetrical, and then there's all the flower engravings and arabic writings from the Quaran. After spending a couple of hours, I left and whats-his-name went to Agra fort and I went home to sleep because I have a stupid summer cold and it's actually easier to sleep in t day because there's electricity and surprisingly less noise. I REALLY should have put insect repellent on, there's sooo many like weird flies and ants and things I haven't seen before and loads of something just fell on my head and there's a massie moth and earlier a gecko thing jumped at my face. I'm not scared of bugs, they're just ANNOYING because they're itchy.

Later on I had dinner on another rooftop with a street view rather than Taj because you can only look at it for so long, and the street is so much more interesting with everyone going about their own business individually but still living harmoniously together, whether it be the children wearing their prayer caps coming back from the mosque, or the fruit seller sitting atop his cart, or the rickshaw driver, or the cow in the middle of the road.

photo by: rotorhead85