Day 4: Danger de mort! And, yes, that escalator just barked at you.

Paris Travel Blog

Me with the Eiffel Tower.
After getting up very early, we got on the bus and drove to the Waterloo station in London. From there, it was under the chunnel to France.

I thought it was going to be very exciting. I sat, watching the beautiful scenery go by (much more exciting than my drive to the airport), feeling anticipation grow in my stomach at the thought of going to France--well, sort of, as I was still jet-lagged and definitely sleepy. I slept for most of the trip, actually. I opened my eyes, and asked if we were in France yet.

"Yeah, that black thing we went through earlier," began the girl next to me.

"When I fell asleep?" I replied.

"Yeah, that was the chunnel."

There could have at least been a few lights! The ADD child in me would have been quite excited.

Once we got to France, I got really confused. I plan on majoring in Spanish. I am in AP Spanish.
Notre Dame!
I like Spanish. FRENCH IS SIAUGFAWOGHFRH!!

I was so confused. Everything was so difficult to understand...so I just stood and looked around.

After a bus ride to the hotel, we got settled.

On the bus, we noticed something rather interesting...it read "danger de mort," which basically translates to "danger of death." Ironically, the bus had no seat belts on it. Throughout our time in France, we noticed these signs reading "danger de mort." It was also on all the busses we were on in France.

Were they trying to send us a message? I don't know, but whenever I'm in a dangerous situation, I now say, "danger de mort."

Back on the danger de mort bus, we went to The Louvre. We got there, and due to some delays, didn't have very much time in the museum. But a few friends and I managed to find our way to the best part of the entire museum--the Italian art.
Clarisse, Claire for short. She's the greatest gargoyle of Notre Dame, the princess. She was killed by Queen Victoria, another gargoyle, and this is her tomb.
Great paintings like the Coronation of Napoleon and Leonidas aux Thermopyles. We couldn't take pictures in there, but I did snag a bunch of the Greco-Roman sculptures. They were absolutely beauitful.

We had our first mistranslation the museum as well. Two French students were trying to buy a book, and the cashier held up her thumb. In America, a thumbs up means something along the lines of, "Woohoo." But in France, apparently, it means "one more." So they thought she was saying, "Woooo," but really, she meant "one more euro." After ten minutes of badly-spoken French and holding up thumbs, the clerk finally wrote down what she needed.

After The Louvre, we walked over to dinner a in a cute little French restaurant, where we all died. The food was that awesome. From there, we walked to Notre Dame, but we didn't get a chance to go inside. After this, our tour director said we could walk to the Eiffel Tower.
The Eiffel Tower!!!

Another hour and a half later, she decided we could take the metro. We actually took this little train thing that's like a metro but above ground that I forget the name of, so I'll just call it the metro. Anyways, while we were waiting for it to come, one girl was standing near the escalator. All of a sudden, she yelled, "It barked at me!"

WTF?

We waited in silence, and then, yes, we heard a barking noise.

Strange indeed.

Once we FINALLY got to the Eiffel Tower, I realized how worth the walk it was. Right as we got there, it lit up with a bunch of little white lights that glittered spaztically across the entire structure. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Then a bunch of us decided to go up. The line was really long, but we were some of the last people to get in line, and a part of the last group to go up that night.
By the upside down pyramid. Mary Magdalene is down there too.
It was windy, so we couldn't go to the very top, and we went to the second floor. On the ground, I was perfectly comfortable in my shirt and jeans. But up there, it was freezing cold, and I was shivering the entire time. But I didn't really care. Because I was on the Eiffel Tower.

We didn't get back to the hotel until about one am...and I didn't even care. It was too much fun.

In the next blog, we test the limits of drinking ages.
Notre Dame!
Clarisse, Claire for short. Shes …
Clarisse, Claire for short. She's…
The Eiffel Tower!!!
By the upside down pyramid. Mary M…
By the upside down pyramid. Mary …
The Seine from the Eiffel Tower.
The Seine from the Eiffel Tower.
A statue in The Louvre.