short glimpse of Sarajevo

Sarajevo Travel Blog

view from the hostel (National University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina )

Next morning at 8 AM I had the train leaving to Sarajevo. The 9 hours ride was smooth enough. The train, just like the ones around the Balkans was decent enough, but don’t expect too much comfort. There wasn’t much sleeping or resting as there were four passport controls and around same number of train ticket validations. At one point I got so confused that I was just handing the passport and the tickets altogether so they would check whatever they would need.

Sarajevo’s train/bus station it’s not really far away from the old city centre but you’d still need to take a tram for a few stops. Luckily the hostel I’d booked with gave me a pick-up from the station.

Tip on public transport: When using public transport in Sarajevo ALWAYS buy a ticket. There are controllers on almost every bus or tram, sometime stopping them in traffic, hopping off and on. You can buy a ticket from the driver and its less than 1 Euro for one ride.

Only managed to get a short walk around the city centre and grab something to eat and went to bed early with the plan in my mind that the next day to make a daytrip to Mostar and Medugorje.

It was around 15 minutes to 5 in the morning when the mosques all around Sarajevo started with their first calls to prayers. It was the first time in my life that experienced that and I was fascinated.

view from the hostel (National Uni…
view from the hostel (National Un…
Sarajevo Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
best cevapcici in Bosnia
Every local told me that if you want to try the best cevapcici in Sarajevo and whole Bosnia you hav to go at Zelio. They were right they were fantasti… read entire review
Sarajevo Hostels review
Hostel & Guesthouse SA Sarajevo
It’s a nice, quiet cosy family run hostel with a great location just in front of the National University and Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina. … read entire review
photo by: herman_munster