the balkan prelude

Cluj Travel Blog

TravBuddying Bosnia

Labour Day is comin’ once more and thoughts of travelling sprang again in my mind. The weather turned out good and after a hell of a long winter and the time seemed just right to take off for a week to do some travelling.

Like my last trips around Labour Day I focused again on the Balkans.

Winston Churchill once said that the Balkans produce more history that they can consume, and he was perfectly right. This is a place where you’ll find melange of cultures, architectures, flavours, a place of weirdness and a place of a rich spiritual heritage and a place filled with history. A history which most of times was a troubled one. In terms of customs, cuisine or traditions everything can be the same but yet again so very different.

As for me, I’ve learned to take the Balkans as they are; I don’t ever try to explain them in a logical way.

Balkans /01

A country that always drew on me with its history, diversity and tragic past was Bosnia. In the past two years I’ve met quite many people that visited the Bosnian capital and only got positive reviews.

So I took off a week from work and I was off to Bosnia to see its capital Sarajevo, the city of Mostar in Herzegovina with its famous bridge and then to Medugorje, a small village near the Croatian border, where in 1981 apparently a Marian apparition took place, and now it became a pilgrimage place, similar to Lourdes in Portugal.

I would also pass through Belgrade and spend few nights there and meet some friends. This would be my 3rd time in Belgrade but its one of my favourite places and I always love to come back.

Marius1981 says: