Castle of Suscinio

Sarzeau Travel Blog

I was staying in St Gildas at my parents holliday house, we had to move out the house before some major structure change. After a few days of packing, carrying heavy stuff and tossing things we decided to make a break and visit something in the area. My mum hadn't visit. Suscinio since 1975 and I couldn't remember the last time I was there. We decided to go by car instead of bikeridingbecause the weather wasn't that good, my mum was impressed by the major changes that happened since her last visit.

The castle of Suscinio was built in the XIII and XV century and was the property of the Duke of Brittany until 1520 when Brittany became part of the French Kingdom. Built under the model of the Louvres during the middle age with a dungeon and a defensive wall.

The castle had never been used for defense, instead the dukes and their followers spend their time hunting in the nearby wood. After its transfer to the kingdom of France, the castle has been neglected. During the revolution the castle was sold and then used as a quarry by its. The destruction of Suscinio ended in 1840 when the writer Prosper Merimée decided to list it as an historical site, at that time it was a complete ruin. It's only in the 60 that the region Britany bought the castle and start to rebuilt and renovate the monuments.The visit of the castle take about 1 hour, tourguide are organised in french every 30 minutes and audioguide are available in other languages.

The castle host every year a different exhibit, at the time of our visit the exhibit was about the food, clothing and customs at a middle age banquet. Long princess dress, and knights pomp clothing where lended to the visitors and it was fun to see little children going around the castle all dressed up. The quizz at the banquet table was also interesting and I wanted to copy some of the recepes.

Sarzeau