Savonlinna Travel Blog

Vappu!
After yet another week of studies and work  I decided to stay in Savo for a change - to celebrate VAPPU or May 1st. Vappu is a really big holiday here in Finland. Above all, it is the celebration for students and also the beginning of Spring. Ironically enough it did snow. In a way you can compare this celebration to Carnival.  Students wear fancy dresses (I looked like princess Leia) and wear their white graduation cap. Looks a bit like a sailor's cap. There was a small ceremony here at the castle in Savo, in which students painted the private parts of the ram statue brightly red and threw an unfortunate student into the ice cold lake. Then it is custom to party ( read consume vast amounts of whatever can possibly fit the label "alcoholic") all weekend.

Sadly I came down with a pretty bad cold. That happens living in a climate where one day it's  a sweaty 22 degrees Celsius and the next minus two and snowing. Beside, I tend to forget that I had been seriously ill only a few months ago and that I still haven't regained my regular strength. That didn't necessarily mean that I didn't have fun on Vappu then. I first cooked myself a nice three course dinner and then occupied the TV room. Hidden underneath my duvet cover I watched some dumb soapies (hey, they even got "the nanny" here) and the Friday night movie. Saturday I slept a hole in the day - for the first time in weeks I finally had a decent night's rest - and then altered a few things on my web site in the school library.

Saturday afternoon I just went out for a walk around town, but nothing much was happening. By Sunday my cold had worsened; feeling sorry for myself I staid in bed all day, keeping myself entertained with Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" and my CD collection... to in the evening take over the TV room again to watch MTV's Nordic top 40. You gotta see some of those Swedish clips. Some of them have great titles such as "Yeah yeah - wow wow"   Swedish vowels sound so similar to the barbaric version of my Antwerp dialect, that I really love this language!  Afterwards "Showgirls" was on. Good job the Finns don't dub their movies either, so I can still watch. That was pretty much it as my weekend is concerned.  Oh, I forgot something. Last Thursday, the international coordinator of my Finnish college had organized a small VAPPU party for all exchange students. In itself nothing special but it's a good opportunity for me to tell ya about typical Vappu food. Apparently, on May 1st weekend you need to eat potato salad and sausages. I liked the desert a whole lot better though: donuts (called munki or donutsi over here) and other sweets, more or less tasting like donuts. There goes my bikini figure !  The drink, which goes with it, is called sima - a soft drink made of lemon, raisins, water and I think it is rye.  This is all mixed together and has been set aside for some time to yeast. Tasted sweet..so tasted alright in my opinion.  Well, then this brings me to the present again. You're all up to date again now.
Vappu in Savonlinna