Train to Turku

Turku Travel Blog

Turku is Finland's former capital at the west coast and according to many, the most beautiful city in Suomi . We couldn't miss out on that could we? So on our last weekend in the country, Ils and I took the night train out of  Joensuu to Åbo - as Turku is called in Swedish. (In case you forgot who Ils is - she's also a Belgian exchange student - and after all the adventures we lived through together, she became one of my closest friends!) Anyway, "many" were right because Turku is indeed a very nice city with a friendly "small town" atmosphere...

We had only one day to spend over there, but it appeared to be sufficient to see all the sights. Turku houses one of the oldest castles in Finland, in which lives - according to the legend -  a "Tomten" or a little troll like creature. Among many other things, we also visited an open air museum; a reconstruction of Finnish village life in the older days: all  very picturesque and scenic. We basically took it easy that day, strolling alongside the river and through the parks, exploring the local market and enjoying the good things in life (meaning being indulgent on ice cream and other sweets).

In the late evening, we took the night train back to Joensuu, but as it was Sunday, it cost us quite a lot of trouble, transferring and patience to finally arrive in our hometown Savonlinna.   A not so nice task was awaiting me there: packing up all my stuff, taking all posters off and empty my flat.. because there wouldn't be much time for that anymore later on in the week. Luckily I did it then, because it indeed turned out to be a busy week. Wednesday we had our goodbye party with Helena, our wonderful Portuguese friend. This time we didn't only pig out on spaghetti and cake.. but on vodka - tropical juice.

Turku