Above the polar circle and other adventures

Rovaniemi Travel Blog

I've been here for about a month now and I reckon I settled in pretty well. Especially since I yesterday ordered my food at Mc Donald's (yes I eat this junk  and they do have a Mc Donald's on the Arctic Circle!) entirely in Finnish and the woman behind the register gave me this HUGE compliment for it.

Thursday evening my  fellow Belgian exchange student Ils and I took the night train to Rovaniemi - the capital city of Lapland.  It´s quite a big place seen is location on the Arctic Circle.

Friday was a cold but clear and sunny day... perfect winter weather! We just explored the city a bit and basically took it easy. Then on Saturday we first went to see the REAL Santa Claus at his office right on the Arctic Circle. He sends his warmest wishes to you too and promised me to get you that fancy sports car by next Christmas!

Santa Claus Village is actually a big tourist trap. Much too crowded and commercialized. In the afternoon, I went to check out the "Arcticum", a museum on life above the Arctic Circle, which was really interesting. But Sunday was the real excitement. We went to see a reindeer farm and learned how to ride and steer the reindeer sleigh. Hey, I even got a driver's license for it :) Plus, seeing real Laps and trying out their delicious traditional cake was a great plus too. The night train ride back to Helsinki and then up Northeast again to Savonlinna is something not worth remembering... more on that some other time.

train to Helsinki