Flying to Antarctica

Antarctica Travel Blog

Antarctica boarding pass!
Antarctica Day  Early shuttle to the airport, checked in for the Antarctica flight.  They offer chartered 747 sightseeing flights over Antarctica, about 12 hours long with 4 hours over the ice.  They arrange the seating so that halfway, everyone switches seats so they get a window view.  I didn't have a window seat at first.   An easy flight until we reached the South Magnetic Pole and the ice.  Everyone started crowding around the windows and watching the compass spin.  We circled over the French base and overland past the ice floes before we headed inland over the Transantarctic Range.  After that, we switched, so I had an excellent view, but most of the interesting scenery was over on the other side of the plane.  Finally got a good view as we turned to leave back to Sydney.  I was speaking with Bridget and John next to me, their sons are computer whiz and adventure travel arrangers.  Arrived back to Sydney but didn't want to get locked out of the hostel (the direct bus had stopped running), so I took a taxi ($17.50).  Hostel was $23.

Antarctica overflight