Cairns Travel Blog

Back to the shore after diving for three days.  The 11 dives was alot for 3 days.  The visibility was pretty poor too, the Coral Sea dives would have been much better.  My toes were well blistered (from rubbing on the fins), but the diving still was worth it.  I only managed 8 of the 11 dives, it gets tiring putting on and taking off all the gear 4 times a day!  Saw an octopus, reef shark, turtles.

Met my college roommate Ron early this morning at the airport, 4:30AM, ugh!  Took a taxi back to the hotel, walked around the beack and town a bit, lovely morning, then went to go pick up the campervan.  Driving on the left!  Found out too late, Ron can't drive a manual, uh oh.

We were booked on the Kuranda skyway + railway trip, the cable cars go over 7kms over the rainforest to Kuranda, a market town.  Only $59 from the hostel.  Wandered around town, had lunch, bought a digeridoo ($280), and took the train back into Cairns.  Stunning scenery, 15 tunnels in all before arriving back in Cairns.  Met a CMU alum sitting across from us (Frank) and a Swedish girl, Lisa.  Drove out to find a camperpark on the outside of town, $12 a night for the both of us!  Drove back to town for dinner+nightlife, but didn't find any.

photo by: Katie_Kate