The Alice

Alice Springs Travel Blog

Early start, I had a flight to Alice Springs this morning.  Flew via Sydney and Ayer's Rock.  Got to see a little of Sydney skyline but no sight of the bridge.  Had a few hour layover in Ayers Rock (I would be coming back a few days later).  Really bizarre looking clouds and Texas-like weather when we arrived.  I booked a helicopter ride, it would be finishing just minutes before my flight was due to leave.  Had awhile to wait, but it was worth it, we flew out over the Olgas and Ayers Rock itself.  Made it back just in time to find that my flight had been cancelled!  They shuttled the passengers into town for a few hours since the flight didn't leave until nearly 7.
The first thing you notice is the flies!  So many of them, just a common house fly, wouldn't expect them to be able to survive in the heat/aridity.  Though it was that arid either, all the plants were very green.  Found an internet cafe at the library (hah).  The town at Ayers Rock was purposely built for tourism, it is a self sustaining community out in the middle of nowhere.  Back to the flight to Alice Springs, more barren land between.
Arrived late at the hostel, just in time and managed to dry my clothes in record time.  A sign at the hostel warned not to leave clothes on the line overnight.
Alice Springs