Stepping Back In Time

Bird in Hand Travel Blog

My husband, beagle (Sara), and I wanted a touch of the Amish/Mennonite life so we stopped off at Aaron and Jessica's Buggy Rides (  We took a buggy ride around an Amish farm and talked with a 20+ girl about Amish life.  She is actually a Brethren.  While on our ride through a corn field, we stopped off at the milk house and barn.  We saw mules, chickens, cows, and horses.  We were able to ask our driver any and all questions about what Amish life and she was extremely knowledgeable.

After our buggy ride, my husband and I went into the Plain and Fancy gift shop and restaurant.  We had a delicious meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and vegetable medley.  We also had raisin bread with sweet butter icing, a side salad, and birch beer.  For dessert, my husband had apple dumplings and I had shoo fly pie.

After our meal, we drove around town (geocaching), visited an old cemetary and went to the farmer's market.  We purchased a few hand-made items and blueberries.  The blueberries were big, juicy, and delicious.

wildntexas says:
Not really. My family lives in the Poconos region of PA (about an hour from the NY and NJ borders). We try to go visit them whenever we can, but unfortunately, not often enough. The last time I'd been home was 7 years ago. When we go, we do drive through the Lancaster region of PA, but this was the first time we'd stopped in. We LOVED it! so maybe we'll do it again someday.
Posted on: Jun 21, 2010
Wendy9334 says:
Sounds like you had fun! Do you get up this way much?
Posted on: Jun 21, 2010