Okanagan Valley to Salmon Arm

Vernon Travel Blog

Old farm heading up to Salmon Arm
From Vancouver I grabbed a couple of my girlfriends and headed over to the Okanagan Valley.  I'd never spent much time in wine country and was looking forward to checking out the beaches and wineries.

As we headed out of the Vancouver area, and its many suburbs, we made a quick stop in Hope to fill up our gas tank (I've been told by numerous people always to fill up the tank in Hope, apparently they offer some very competitive prices on gas, although I'm not overly convinced of this myself) With our  tanks full and our eyes set on reaching Vernon as soon as possible, we decided on taking the slightly less scenic Coquihalla Highway to Merritt and then catch the Okanagan Connector.
Shuswap Lake, Salmon Arm

5 hours later...we happily arrived in Vernon.

In true road tripping spirit none of us had pre-arranged any accommodations, so after comparing rates we settled on the Holiday Inn.  (Which I give two big thumbs up!)  And crashed for the night.

The next day we headed up to Salmon Arm to check out the area.  First impression - WOW.  Shuswap Lake is stunning, and the town Salmon Arm itself is filled with personality- not to mention nice patios to enjoy a cold beverage.

We first dropped in to the tourist information center to ask about anyplace/anything that we should check out while in the area, and were pointed in the direction of Sunnybrae Provincal Park and Herald Provincal Park.  With our lunch in hand, we jumped back into the car and took off towards the parks.
Relaxing in Sunnybrae Provincial Park

Sunnybrae P.P. is an awesome place to stop and enjoy lunch alongside the lake. So scenic, peaceful and quiet.  I'd highly suggest you go in for a refreshing swim here even though I didn't.  (I was hoping Okanagan Lake would be just as warm when we got there... it wasn't.)  We didn't spend nearly enough time exploring Herald P.P, but Margaret Falls (and the 500m trek to it) was well worth the time and small parking fee.

I haven't mentioned much of Vernon, and to be honest I don't think there is much to talk about.  Everything about this place should make it impressive (it is surrounded by 3 separate lakes ) but it just felt like any other little city. I am forever grateful to my friend who suggested we check out Silver Star Mountain Resort when we arrived back in town.

Silver Star lies right outside of town and as an avid skier I felt compelled to check out the place as a potential winter destination.
Horse grazing along Shuswap Lake
Now this is a place I could love! It looks like life size lego land, so bright and brilliant you can't help but smile when you look around. I'll admit that the ski runs themselves at first glance don't look overly impressive, but Silver Star does boast 2,500 vertical feet (115 runs) and apparently receives wonderful powder. So it looks like I'll be back to visit Vernon sooner than I would have originally thought, but it'll definitely be in the winter time.

Not gonna lie, I was looking forward to moving on to Kelowna the next morning.
Shuswap Lake, Salmon Arm
Relaxing in Sunnybrae Provincial P…
Relaxing in Sunnybrae Provincial …
Horse grazing along Shuswap Lake
Rain falls in the distance in the …
Rain falls in the distance in the…
Silver Star Mountain Resort
Silver Star Mountain Resort
Vernon Hotels & Accommodations review
Friendly, clean and convenient. The rate for two nights was slightly higher than a couple other options in town, but the facilities (pool, hot tub, an… read entire review
Vernon