Day One - Vancouver

Vancouver Travel Blog

Steam Clock, Gastown
Day One - alright, I've only got a few hours to spend in Vancouver before I'm off to the Okanagan with some girlfriends... what is a girl to do!?! Well if you're anything like this girl you grab your camera and hit the street first thing in the morning.  (To kill two birds with one stone, I also grab a photography friend of mine to catch up while walking around town)

We started beside English Bay in the West End and headed up onto the famous shopping strip known as Robson Street.   Sadly I didn't have any time to shop at Lulu Lemon or Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, but stormed on towards Gastown.

Besides housing the waterfront station where pedestrians can catch the seabus up to North Vancouver, Gastown is full of historic building and is a classic choice to visit for many tourists.
Store front, Gastown
I personally wanted to photograph the Steam Clock (which I do believe you'll find actually runs on electricity these days).  Never the less, it does make a pretty picture.

A quick side note to all tourist heading to Gastown to watch where you tread.  Gastown itself is a very safe and fun area of Vancouver, but you are beside an area of town that houses some of the more 'colourful characters' of Vancouver.  If you really want to see a seedy side of Vancouver take a ride (not walk) along East Hastings, it isn't uncommon to witness various criminal acts taking place on any given day.  Ok back to the walk around Vancouver...

From Gastown we decided to head over to Yale Town, an upscale neighborhood with ridiculously priced real estate. Along the way we had the great pleasure of encountering some of those colourful Vancouverites characters as I passed by Pigeon Park.
Inukshuk, English Bay, West End
  Without incident, and a slightly quicker pace, we continued on our way passing by BC place (home to football team- BC Lions) and GM Place (home to the hockey team -Vancouver Canucks).

After checking out some overprices real estate  (really eight million dollars for a condo?!?) we joined up with the seawall headed back towards the West End.  I personally found this bit of the walk highly amusing as the city of Vancouver apparently decided to litter the walk with some truly stunning and perplexing art.  You'll have to see it to believe it.

Well it was time for me to wrap up my 10km walk around Vancouver, it had only taken us just under 2 hours.  I was impressed with how much of the sites we were able to cram into one morning.  If you have the time, and stamina, I'd highly suggest people continue along the seawall and follow it around Stanley Park. Just don't forget your umbrella, this is Vancouver after all.

travelman727 says:
Great blog! Your walking tour of Vancouver brings back happy memories of our July 2009 TravBuddy meetup there:
www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/57597