Floating kitty

Valencia Travel Blog

Endless views from the train
Today I left Cuenca en route for my next destination, again a place where I have never been before: Valencia. The reason why I never went here on a previous trip is simple: Valencia just didn't really appeal to me. But it was one of the last big cities in Spain to be checked of my list, so this was the time to do it. And now I'm here I don't regret!

I went to Valencia by train. I could also have taken the bus, but the company I planned on using (AutoRes) announced a strike for today so I didn't risk to book tickets. The train wasn't a bad choice either. Not even 13 EUR for the 3 hour trip. As I wrote yesterday, I had my pastry and fruit for breakfast/lunch, while I watched the world go by. Soon I was dropped of at the Sant Isidre station.
Endless views from the train
This is not in the center of Valencia, but I got a metro ticket to cover this, included in the price of the train ticket.

Yet apparently, the metro ticket can only be used to ride to certain stations. You can't get of everywhere. I don't remember exactly which stations you could choose from, but the Xativa stop (at the EstaciĆ³n del Norte) was not one of them. I thought to be smart and just go there anyway... On the map, it looked closest to my hostel so I figured that was where I wanted to get out. But my plan didn't work... In Valencia, when you get of the metro, you have to get through these little doors again! You have to insert your ticket and if it is not valid, you will not get out. Damn! That pretty much pissed me of. Mainly because for this one time where I try to break the rules (normally I will always pay everywhere for transport and never cheat on tickets), I don't succeed! I'm such a bad looser.
Endless views from the train
I even swore at that bloody machine for not accepting my ticket. Yet I got even more pissed because the metro in Valencia is a pain! It was immensely crowed and trains didn't ride so regularly. Far from Madrid or Barcelona, where they leave every two minutes, here I had to wait over ten minutes to get back to the Colon stop. All together, I wasted some 20 minutes trying to get closer to my hostel, while in fact, the Colon stop turned out not to be that much further at all. It was hot as hell down there in those tunnels, so I was sweating like crazy, carrying my bag around. And when I got out on the Colon square, it was even hotter! Yet I don't complain about that. I will never complain about some good weather!

While I was making my way to the hostel my bad metro-mood was quickly gone.
Endless views from the train
I knew it right from the start:I would like Valencia. It felt good to be back in the bigger city, with lots of places to eat and lots of people around. The wide streets and the big squares. They made me smile. Valencia looked nice as well, clean and friendly. And the hostel looks just like that. It has the perfect location, the friendliest welcome, and the room is very cool. The balcony just looks out on the Lonja's back wall, I can almost touch it! And the rooms wall has a floating kitty on it, all pink and dreamy, which is quite funny.

After dropping of my bags and taking a shower (stupid hot metro made me melt) I went out for a first stroll around. I didn't plan on doing much today, except for taking in the city and keeping my eyes open for nice places to eat. So that's what I did. I also decided never to take a metro again in Valencia.
Endless views from the train
Just to ease my mood. For sightseeing, I did have a look around La Lonja, as it was virtually right across the street. And in the evening I had dinner at a place called Babalu. It is actually a restaurant with Caribbean food, or at least Caribbean influences on the menu. But it looked very chill. I just stumbled onto it by accident, although it was just a block away from the hostel. And when I looked at what the other people where having here, I decided to sit down and order me one of those good looking plates. The menu might not be as Spanish as it could have been, but it was well priced and very attractive to me. Just a great place. In addition, there is a Spanish menu del dia, with some very brave patatas bravas that were realllly good! And my first Paella Valenciano wasn't bad either. The dinner here was the perfect ending of my first day in Valencia. A good dish can really make my day, and today, it did.
Pearl510 says:
I found out this spring that I really love it! Paella Valenciana. I didn't think I would like it but now I'm addicted, lol. Valencia surprised me in every way, even culinary :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2010
derekbilldaly says:
Hehe I always love the honestly of your writing young lady, if its not Belgian waffles or Belgian fries its Paella Valenciano hehe
Posted on: Aug 10, 2010
Lunch!
Lunch!
Amazing ceiling at La Llonja
Amazing ceiling at La Llonja
Valencia Hostels review
The perfect hostel in the perfect location: recommended!
This is an amazing place to stay, and one of the best hostels I was in so far. It has the perfect name. Home, is really what it feels like. The rooms … read entire review
Valencia Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
My favorite place in Valencia
Somehow it always seems to happen like this. I stay in a place for a couple of days and on the first night I stumble in to a bar or restaurant that be… read entire review
Valencia Sights & Attractions review
Gothic splendor
La Lonja de la Seda, the silk trade hall (in Valencian Llotja de la Seda) is in the very center of Valencia, right across the mercado central. It is a… read entire review
Valencia