Two Months Back Home - The End of This Particular Chapter

Breckenridge Travel Blog

"Normalcy" has returned.  The post trip depression was very bearable this time, and I think that it's due to the fact that the place I call home is a damn great place.  I remember before I moved here, when I lived in Baltimore, I'd come back from wherever I was and an overwhelming sense of dread would sink in as I touched down in BWI.  Now that I live in Colorado, I'm excited to come home.  I am surrounded by mountains, national forest, and more trails than I could possibly explore.  It's a great place to return to.

This time around the homecoming was especially interesting.  Before I left on this trip I had rented out my room so that I didn't have to pay as much rent while I was gone.  Since I departed with a one way ticket, I didn't know exactly when I was coming back to the US.  So, I rented out my room until October 1st.  When I got back to town in early August, I had no place to stay, so I had to couch surf with friends for a while in my own town.  It made me feel like I was still on the road, which was cool.  I lived out of my suitcase and changed locations a few times so I could see what it was like to live in different neighborhoods.  The only thing that was difficult with this lifestyle was carting around my perishable food.  I wanted to spend as little money as possible - I'm in a healthy yet reasonable amount of debt from this trip- so rather than pay to eat out I tried to stick to groceries and good-old home cooking.  Every time I'd switch locations I'd forget something or other in the back of my friend’s fridge.  That was the only real down side to the living arrangement.

On Monday I'll be back to work and back on salary.  I'll be able to hit that debt I worked up pretty hard.  It looks like I'll stay in the US next summer so that I can save up for a cool trip in the summer of  2012.  To where - I don't know.  I wouldn't mind staying in Central America for a while so that I can force myself to study Spanish, but maybe it would be worthwhile to spend some time in Brazil so that I could work on my Portuguese and scope out places to stay during the World Cup in 2014.  Returning to Thailand or South Africa is always on my mind, and I have some friends I would love to visit in Argentina.  Most likely I'll end up going to a place I haven't yet anticipated.  Things are most interesting when they come up unexpectedly.  With almost 2 years to kill, I have plenty of time to figure it all out.

So back in my house, back at my job, back with all the people I know; a better and more interesting person for having spent an incredible 2 months in Africa.  In the meantime, I hope to have some local adventures that are interesting enough to write about.  I don't want to be away from Travbuddy for too long!  If anyone is looking to come out to Colorado and do some skiing or riding, hit me up.  I work a lot during the winter, but I'm full of info and I always have time to grab a drink.  Talk to you again soon!

Rodney