Cape Town & On The Road

Cape Town Travel Blog

Flying into Cape Town, I could see why the area is considered so beautiful.  The juxtaposition of mountains and lakes and ocean was unlike any other place I’ve seen �" it looked like if you took the high altitude sections of Colorado but put them where North Carolina is.  The ocean meets the mountains and the highs and lows of the land go on and on as far as the eye can see.  As we were driving out towards Route 62 (SA’s version of route 66 in the US) it felt like driving through Glenwood Canyon, but greener and lasting 4 hours instead of 20 minutes.  There are many things to watch out for on the back highways here �" we saw families of baboons crossing the street erratically as we whizzed by at 70 mph.  Signs warned of livestock - cows & goats, different type of antelopes �" impala, kudu, nyala, and even of tortoises crossing, a lot of animals to keep track of!  Other than a narrow miss with some baboons, we made it through fine.

It took us 5 hours to drive from the Cape Town airport to our accommodations in Oudtshoorn.  We have 2 days to spend here.  Tomorrow we have an early start taking our free ostrich egg and combining it with the vegetables we bought to make a giant ostrich egg omelet.  Then we pick up some mountain bikes and a shuttle ride to the top of one of the nearby mountain passes.  There is a bunch of snow up on the pass at the moment, so we can’t make it all the way up, but we’ll be transported as high as feasible and then ride down to a few different attractions until we make it back to our hostel, a total distance of about 54km.  We will likely stop at one of the ostrich farms so I can get my ostrich ride in, as well as one of the wildlife rescue places, where we can play with cheetah cubs or find acceptance with a meerkat colony.  There is also some place where you can dive in a cage and crocodiles swim around you, but I have to imagine it’s too damn cold for that.  Plus, if I’m going to cage dive with sharks,  I can hardly be impressed with crocodiles.
williamsworld says: