Camp Jened, Rock Hill

New York Travel Blog

I arrive at Camp Jened, New York and spend the whole summer here.

Camp was it's own world. Far too much to describe here. I was going to do a Camp Jened blog but Internet access was limited at the time - let's just say some had great experiences, while others had horrible ones. In the end, it was probably the best job I've ever had - too bad I couldn't earn a living out of it. But still, from my perspective, I uncovered a new dimension to myself, to people and of society in general. Ok, perhaps I'm being melodramatic.

There were somethings I didn't agree with eg. certain safety & hygiene standards. But it's quite easy to be negative about many things at camp, but if you try to be positive and improve what you have the power to change, you find things start getting fun. And that applies to life in general, of course.

Camp Jened was what you made of it. It wasn't perfect, but nothing in life is. I had loads of fun and yeah, few hard times too, but in the end I met some amazing people & gained so much working with the special needs population - especially empathy and learning to appreciate life more than you ever thought possible.
New York